Vanilla Slice Slice Baby
In a very uncharacteristic rush of blood to the head, out of the blue I suddenly decided I wanted to make a vanilla slice. I was mainly inspired to get my slice on by being given the more precious than gold gift by my bestie of some Tahitian pure vanilla essence, direct import style. I'm no baker. In fact, if you've ever watched that food TV show Baker or Faker, i'm for defs a faker, and probably closer to the contestants of Nailed It ha ha ha.
Anyhoo, I had some faith in pulling it off, as I knew I could make a vegan custard, I had puff pastry sheets in the freezer, and I can make vanilla icing. All that had to happen was that each of these could be brought together in an elegant stacked trio and then not be massacred in the cutting up part and I would have me a vanilla slice. Simples!
I'm happy to say, that it was indeed a success, and while on the rustic side, it was going to get more rustic when I digested it! I take no credit for this recipe which was made by Nikki from the gorgeous vegan B&B Bed and Broccoli and who is clearly a vegan baking genius, the recipe is from her website and reproduced faithfully. I'd stay there 100% as there are also rescue animals and, well, vegan treats on every surface. I've made micro tweaks to my attempt by changing up the icing to straight vanilla ice ice and I strongly urge you to get your slice slice baby on and please everyone in your near vicinity.
2 sheets of puff pastry
1 cup castor sugar
¾ cup cornflour
½ cup custard powder
1 litre soy milk
60 grams vegan margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
Let's DO This!
- Bake pastry sheets on baking trays, lightly sprayed with oil at 200oC for six minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven, allow to cool then gently flatten with a clean tea towel (Times will vary depending on oven)
- Combine sugar, cornflour, custard powder in a saucepan and gradually whisk in milk until smooth
- Over a medium to high heat stir in the margarine until mixture boils and thickens. (It will be very thick & will come away from the sides of the saucepan)
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla essence
- On a baking tray, place down 1 cooked pastry sheet
- Pour custard over pastry (don’t worry – it won’t run) and spread out evenly with a knife. Take to the very edges of the pastry
- Place second pastry sheet on top and press down firmly
- Refrigerate until cool
- Ice with passionfruit icing when cool, return to fridge to set before cutting into squares
2 cups of sifted icing sugar
1 teaspoon vegan margarine
Pulp from 1 passionfruit
1 – 2 teaspoons of water
- Mix all ingredients together to make a paste. Adding 1 teaspoon of water at a time
- Spread over slice using a warm knife